___
I finished the month of May by rewatching another favorite movie. I enjoy romantic comedies a lot, and I've watched a lot of teen rom-coms in particular, but there are a lot of crappy ones out there. It's very much a guilty pleasure; movies that I know are pretty bad, but some part of them makes me feel good, so I keep watching.
At the same time, it's hard for a rom-com to stand out. I'm picky about them, because they only really need a few things:
1. Two leads with CHEMISTRY🧑🔬, and I want to know why they like each other beyond: hot 🥵
2. A logical plot. Don't make me feel like Spock. Maybe teen rom-coms are meant to make as little sense as teenagers do, but I made sense as a teenager (don't ask my mom to confirm).
3. Be at least a little funny 🤏
Apparently, these three tasks are very difficult to accomplish.
When it comes to English-language rom-coms in particular, there are not a lot of movies I can point at and say: that was actually really good, would recommend. But I love Ten Things I Hate About You. I think it's a good movie, it's well-paced, and it only makes me cringe once. Therefore it is the natural recommendation to friends that don't watch a lot of rom-coms. And in order to make sure it gets watched, I sit myself down on other people's couches and watch with them.
The last four times I watched this movie have followed that same pattern.
I'm not sure exactly what it is about Ten Things that has made it one of the more memorable rom-coms of my life and the one I want to share with everybody. Some possible reasons: I love the cast, and I actually understand why someone would fall in love with Kat Stratford. I understand why she would fall for The Joker too (I just want to understand things 😩). I like that things never feel too melodramatic or over the top. It's a chill movie for a chill Pratima.
This movie was my introduction to Joseph Gordon Levitt, and he will always be Cameron to me, no matter how many Nolan movies he stars in.
I re-realize every time I watch that there are a disproportionate amount of sexual jokes in here. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ They're funny. The gynecologist dad was a standout of this particular watch. I love that man; he's so good.
I don't think Ten Things is perfect. It borders on being a bit too low-key, and it brushes past some parts of the conflict. But it makes me feel good every time I watch, and it's mature enough that I don't feel like I'm losing brain cells.
If you're intrigued by this rom-com but don't know when you'll get around to watching, never fear, Pratima is here! I will watch it with you, and we will have a good time.
Rewatched on: May 31, 2026
Rating: ★★★★½ / 5
___
I drove two hours and twenty-three minutes to eat pancakes in New Hampshire last weekend, because somebody (Ranjani) told me it was a nice place. It was going to be my birthday activity and that plan was derailed, but the silver lining is that I had two passengers come along. I ENJOYED my time at Polly's Pancake Parlor, and I would in fact wait 53 minutes to be seated once again. But that's just me.
The drive up to Franconia, NH is so pretty, and I look forward to doing it again in October when the fall colors are at their peak. We did a short (but not tooo easy) hike at Artists Bluff, and I will go back and complete the 1.5 mile loop next time.
The next day I did a much more local and much more low-key hike-walk at Mainstone Farm. We saw frogs! I also found myself at another concert, but that deserves a longer post.
Last week I played badminton, which was good, and I ate a strawberry peach tart, which was GOOD.
Bye for now. It's time to play Dispatch.
No comments:
Post a Comment