Monday, September 7, 2026

Light from Uncommon Stars ✨

 
For the first time in my life, I have my very own HBO Max subscription. I've been watching Heated Rivalry which has been fine and good. But what has not been fine or good are the stupid gambling app ads on HBO. With all the money these apps are paying to be shown during an episode, maybe they could consider paying more than 2 dollars to find a person that can act. Possibly another 2 dollars to find a HUMAN to write a less moronic script. Noo 4 dollars is too much, you're right. I can sit through a regular commercial, but these probably-mostly-AI ads are really pissing me off. 
 ___
 
I have much food in my fridge and on my counter. It's a weird feeling. 
 
Sorry, gimme a second to recalibrate. It's been a while since I've written about a book. 
___  
 
Light from Uncommon Stars
 
Light from Uncommon Stars follows a trans girl that runs away from home, a violin teacher who has made a deal with the devil, an alien captain fleeing a war... and some yummy donuts. Personally I'm just happy that a book with this premise exists at all. 
 
The intersection between sci-fi and the Faustian bargain was goofy, but it worked perfectly with the tone of the story.  I loved the disparate elements at play and the tropes that bend as a result.  
 
It wasn't the most engaging read, and sometimes it felt a bit too saccharine for me, but it did move me in some ways. The plot itself is not something I'll look back on, but I'll remember how some of the passages made me feel. At times it's poetic, and I admire it like a piece of art even if it's not my favorite thing ever. 
 
Light from Uncommon Stars feels like a warm hug despite dealing with a lot of serious subjects. If you've ever needed reassurance that everything is going to be okay, read this book.  
 
I also think this book will speak to people who are really passionate about music. Or who are passionate about music in the same way that Ryka Aoki presumably is passionate about music. Maybe it does have the power to save lives. 
 
Read: August 27, 2026
Rating: ★★★½ / 5  
___

Tonight I go to Coolidge Corner. Tonight I watch a movie about a shark. Tonight I eat pasta. 
 



No comments: